If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and everyday we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
Join Carvana’s Legal Department in the role of Senior Counsel, Privacy & Cybersecurity. Carvana is looking for a driven and proactive attorney to serve as a business partner and legal advisor to various legal stakeholders, product teams, solutions groups, and strategic business initiatives. You will work closely with the Associate General Counsel, Product & Privacy, Counsel, Product & Privacy, and the Senior Manager, Privacy Compliance, as well as a variety of other internal business and legal partners on various strategic and day-to-day matters relating to Carvana’s information privacy and security programs. You will drive proactive and reactive legal work involving Carvana’s privacy and cybersecurity interests, including advising on the introduction of new solutions, marketplaces, and technologies, responding to internal and external inquiries, questionnaires, and claims, lead cross-functional efforts to develop and improve both programs, build scalable legal services strategies, and assess and advise upon the ever-changing U.S. privacy and cybersecurity legal and regulatory landscape.
What you’ll be doing
- Learn and support business processes, including business partner goals, priorities, and dependencies/constraints.
- Partner with legal and business stakeholders to advise on privacy and security risks related to new or changing Carvana products and services.
- Analyze applicable statutes, regulations, case law, and other resources and guidance to stay up to date and advise legal and business stakeholders on new and changing privacy and cybersecurity regulations, developing Carvana’s privacy and cybersecurity programs to comply with the same.
- Engage daily with legal, information security, product, engineering, and other team members, including counsel, product managers, software engineers, data scientists, technical writers, and marketing personnel.
- Develop positive, strong, and collaborative relationships with legal colleagues and cross-functional partners across Carvana to effectively develop, lead, and deliver on complex tasks.
- Lead the business in intelligent and innovative risk mitigation related to cybersecurity and data privacy, including topics such as artificial intelligence, biometric and other sensitive information, and cyber incident response.
- Collaborate with the Privacy Compliance team to strategically develop, update, and maintain Carvana’s operational privacy program.
- Lead efforts to keep legal and business leadership updated and engaged with Carvana’s privacy and cybersecurity programs, including by serving a key role in the development and steering of committees and working groups, including Carvana’s Information Governance Committee.
- Perform legal research and related due diligence, and support others doing the same, to assist legal counterparts with the development of creative solutions to ensure compliance with applicable third-party agreements, security attestations, regulations, and more.
- Mentor and develop legal and non-legal colleagues, manage direct and dotted line legal team members.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you should know/have
The successful Senior Counsel, Privacy & Cybersecurity possesses and exemplifies excellent judgment, critical and quick thinking, and an eagerness to understand business priorities and objectives; maintains a strong work ethic and a high degree of accountability, striving for perfection in his or her work; and works proactively with legal and non-legal counterparts to generate pragmatic and effective legal solutions to achieve business objectives while mitigating risks and contemplating business context. You should feel comfortable working independently, developing and navigating priorities and daily work with little oversight or guidance, as well as collaboratively and flexibly with stakeholders in a fast-paced, cutting edge, and constantly evolving environment, adapting your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations. You should feel comfortable initiating, leading, and driving to completion cross-functional, difficult projects throughout the organization with legal and non-legal colleagues at all levels of seniority. You should possess superior communication skills (oral and written), approach problems with a sense of humor and humility, and desire to build trusted relationships both within and outside the organization. Success requires a highly collaborative nature, ownership over your own work, proactiveness, confidence, helpfulness, experience, diligence, and a passion to learn about new business ventures, emerging technologies, and the ability to scrutinize and think creatively in the face of new legal risks in unchartered territories.
We also look for:
- A JD and membership in good standing with a United States Bar.
- 6+ years of legal experience, including 4+ years in a privacy and cybersecurity role providing support to sophisticated businesses at a large law firm and/or within a corporate legal department, although we will consider varying levels of legal experience combined with business/industry knowledge and supplemental skills.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Consistent good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge to help create practical, risk-based business solutions, including understanding when a quick response is appropriate and when a deep dive to get something exactly right is required.
- Great issue spotting skills, but even better at creating practical solutions and rolling up your sleeves to implement change.
- Highly responsive, service-oriented approach when collaborating with legal and business partners at all levels.
- Experience leading efforts to develop privacy and cybersecurity programs and solutions, including in proactive and reactive capacities.
- Experience leading legal investigation into and response to cyber incidents of all sizes, including coordination of external legal and non-legal resources related to the same, in close partnership with internal teams like Information Security.
- Ability to develop, lead, and complete projects of all sizes involving legal and business partners.
- Ability to research, prioritize, and respond promptly to a wide range and volume of requests, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a manner useful to legal and non-legal counterparts.
- Extremely inquisitive and motivated nature and comfort challenging current practices and operating in an uncertain, fast-paced environment.
We’d be thrilled if you also have:
Experience advising tech companies in the areas of data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Financial Services and/or Automotive industry experience.
- Experience leading privacy and cybersecurity legal and compliance efforts.
- Experience managing attorneys and/or other legal professionals.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.