Get to know Okta
Okta is The World’s Identity Company. We free everyone to safely use any technology—anywhere, on any device or app. Our Workforce and Customer Identity Clouds enable secure yet flexible access, authentication, and automation that transforms how people move through the digital world, putting Identity at the heart of business security and growth.
At Okta, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences. We are not looking for someone who checks every single box - we’re looking for lifelong learners and people who can make us better with their unique experiences.
Join our team! We’re building a world where Identity belongs to you.
The EMEA Legal team is growing!
Accelerate your career by joining Okta, the leading provider of identity for the enterprise, as a member of our growing Privacy & Product legal team! As Legal Counsel, Privacy & Product, you will play a key role in supporting the engineering, product management, security, marketing, human resources, and sales organisations at a high-growth, publicly-traded enterprise software company. You will work on cutting-edge privacy and product projects, in a modern, cloud-first, SaaS environment, to help Okta deliver world-class products to our thousands of global customers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate and correspond with data protection authorities as necessary from time to time, especially as local key contact for CNIL.
- Key contact for data protection related requests from European customers (i.e. controller and processors) regarding the Okta Services, including with regard to the Okta data processing addendum, the security and privacy documentation, and for data protection related requests from European data subjects regarding the exercise of their rights under GDPR articles 15-22.
- Support our Sales and Professional Services teams by working with customers, prospective customers and partners on privacy, security, and product-related questions regarding Okta’s services.
- Report on data privacy issues to the international management of Okta.
- Counsel internal stakeholders by way of data protection governance meetings, strategy development, and summarising reports.
- Liaise with Okta’s Internal Audit team, and external third-party auditors if necessary, to conduct periodic audits of EEA based Okta entities, to ensure compliance with applicable data protection laws and frameworks.
- Counsel and work closely with Okta’s Engineering and Product Management teams regarding privacy-by-design principles, and assist the company in identifying patentable inventions, working with intellectual property counsel as necessary, to secure appropriate patent and trademark protection.
- Ensure that Okta’s vendor agreements contain adequate data protection and privacy assurances.
- Oversee and ensure accuracy of records of processing activities and data protection impact assessments under articles 30 and 35 of the GDPR, respectively.
- Be a resident expert and thought leader on, and ensure Okta’s and its subsidiaries’ compliance with, all applicable global privacy and data protection laws, including the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), NIS Directive, and E-privacy Directive.
- Partner with members of the legal, security & compliance, technology, marketing and human resources teams, and outside counsel to help ensure the company’s compliance with laws, regulations, compliance frameworks, and customer contracts.
- Work with Okta’s other legal and public policy stakeholders to help influence privacy and data protection policy, laws, regulations, and frameworks.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Qualified lawyer with a minimum of 6 years PQE.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred, including 3+ years specialising in privacy and data protection matters.
- Familiarity and comfort with the culture of a fast-paced, enterprise software company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, drafting and negotiation skills. Fluency in English required; proficiency in another European language is desirable.
- Strong experience in leading and closing complex contract negotiations involving cutting-edge cloud computing issues.
- Highly-responsive and service-oriented approach to driving projects to closure.
- Team-oriented and collaborative – a self-starter with an insatiable intellectual curiosity regarding legal and regulatory aspects of data privacy and security.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of software-as-a-service and Internet industries and technical concepts.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (Europe, U.S., Canada, and/or Asia) is a plus.
Apply now to continue the conversation and speak with one of our recruiters.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
What you can look forward to as an Okta employee!
- Amazing Benefits
- Making Social Impact
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging at Okta
Okta cultivates a dynamic work environment, providing the best tools, technology and benefits to empower our employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Each organization is unique in the degree of flexibility and mobility in which they work so that all employees are enabled to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, regardless of where they live. Find your place at Okta today! https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, or status as a protected veteran. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and convictions records, consistent with applicable laws. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please use this Form to request an accommodation.